A Washington DC truck accident lawyer from Cohen and Cohen, P.C. may be able to help you obtain compensation for the injuries you suffered during a truck accident. We understand how difficult it can be to deal with these injuries and want to see to it that you get justice. We offer free consultations, so you will lose nothing by speaking to one of us.
Why Do Truck Accidents Occur?
Trucks are much bigger and heavier than standard passenger vehicles, so they present a lot of danger during accidents. While most truck drivers are skilled and responsible, they can still make mistakes and cause accidents. Here are the common causes of truck accidents a truck accident lawyer in Washington DC might see:
- Speeding: Truck drivers are expected to deliver their products on time. If they are on tight deadlines, some drivers may speed to get to their destination on time. Unfortunately, driving faster than the speed limit can increase the risk of accidents.
- Driver Fatigue: While truck drivers are only supposed to drive so many hours in a day, some of them don’t follow this rule and drive too many hours. This can lead to driver fatigue and lower the driver’s focus, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Overloading or Improper Loading: A truck is designed to only carry so much weight. If a truck is overloaded, it can affect the vehicle’s speed and steering. Too much weight can even cause a blown out tire in a commercial truck. Cargo that is loaded improperly may also present various risks is it becomes loose while the truck is in motion.
- Inadequate training: A commercial vehicle can be more difficult to drive than a regular passenger vehicle, so truck drivers must go through special training. If a truck driver received inadequate training, they could be likely to get into collisions.
- Drunk Driving: Unfortunately, a Washington DC truck accident lawyer may also see truck accidents caused by drunk driving. If a truck driver consumes alcohol before getting behind the wheel, he or she may have slower reaction times and cause an accident.
- Equipment Malfunction: Trucking companies are legally responsible for making sure their vehicles are properly maintained. If trucks are not maintained properly, several types of equipment malfunction, such as faulty brakes and tire blowouts, are more likely to happen.
Questions to Ask a Truck Accident Lawyer
- To ensure a Washington DC truck accident lawyer is the right person to represent you, be sure to ask him or her questions during your first consultation. Here are a few questions you may consider asking:What is your contingency fee?: Many truck accident lawyers work on a contingency basis, meaning they receive a percentage of your winnings. Be sure to find out what your lawyer’s contingency fee is.
- How many truck accident cases do you handle a year?: It may be in your best interest to hire a Washington DC truck accident lawyer who handles many truck accident cases a year. The more experience he or she has, the better assistance he or she can be.
- How much time do you have to devote to my case? A lawyer who isn’t overburdened with cases may be able to dedicate more time to your own case.
To schedule a free consultation with a Washington DC truck accident lawyer, contact Cohen and Cohen, P.C. at (202) 999-3284.